Monday, July 29, 2013

Back to Blogging!

Hey guys,


I want to be more intentional about writing. I used to do it a lot, but slowly got away from the habit. I have been thinking about how I can do this more consistently, I need an outlet! I have decided to start blogging again!

I was just reading through two posts from 2007, I would have been 13-14 when I wrote them. I'm only 20 but that makes me feel old, haha! I want to share something that jumped out this morning during my time in the Word and Prayer! I have recently been reading/praying out a Proverb and a Psalm every day.


"The wise are mightier than the strong, and those with knowledge grow stronger and stronger. So don’t go to war without wise guidance; victory depends on having many advisers."
(Proverbs 24:5, 6 NLT)


The scripture compares wise people and strong people. Many people today fall into the latter category of the strong; or at least, they try to! Personally, I enjoy trying to do things on my own. This is an attempt to be strong, an attempt to be considered strong by others. Sadly, this is the reality of many of our lives.


"The wise are mightier than the strong."


The wise are mightier than the strong because the strong are weak in and of themselves! They are selfish and self-sufficient. The wise, on the other hand are strong in their relationships: with God and with others! They are open and honest. They are aware of the reality of their depravity. In this life we cannot rely on our own strength, striving by ourselves. We are relational beings, we were created for and thrive in healthy relationships!


1. Relationship with God.


Our first priority as believers must be our relationship with God. He desires to meet with you daily! When's the last time you told him, (either in word or action?): "I'm too busy." What an insult to our Creator! We must seek Him more! We must pursue nothing less than intimacy with Him!


2. Relationships with others.


Like I said before, I tend to be a lone ranger, but we were not created to be lone rangers!
We were not created to do life alone!


"Confess your faults one to another and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and produces wonderful results."
(James 5:16 NLT)


James here gives us a picture of what our relationships should look like. Sadly, this is many times not the case. If we're honest, the majority of relationships today are merely surface level. We only take time to look at the tip of the iceberg.


Is there depth to your relationships or are they shallow? Do you attempt to cover your struggles, or are you transparent and honest? Our relationships with others are a direct reflection of our relationship with our God.


Are you constantly contentious? When was the last time you contended for His presence in the secret place? Are you needy? When was the last time you asked Him to be your everything?


"So don’t go to war without wise guidance;
victory depends on having many advisers"


I want to encourage and challenge you today. Don't go to war without wise guidance! Don't do life without, 1. A relationship with God and 2. Solid, healthy relationships with others. Wherever you're weak, wherever you struggle, reach out! Be open and honest, get prayer, and begin the healing process we all desperately need!


Love you!
Garret