Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Insights from Psalm 30:3

Just want to start out by saying, I'm an EXTREMIST. Whether we're talking sports, nutrtion, training or studying - there is rarely middle ground where I am concerned. If I'm going for it, I'm going for it. Tell me WHAT we're doing, WHY we're doing it, HOW we're doing it... And let's get the thing done!
 
Having this type of personality has its ups and downs. A good example would be a lack of balance I have experienced in my devotional life. For the past two years I have been helping with a Church plant in California. I have also been taking Basical Biblical and Theological courses. What an experience! The past two years have been unreal, but I have noticed I tend to get off on tangents and tackle things with a sometimes over agressive zeal.
 
During my first year of "Interns" I was encouraged and challenged to begin studying the Book of Romans as our class was going through The Doctrine of the Atonement. I didn't just read and study... I memorized half the book! Pretty, extreme, don't you think? For however many months this took me, ALL of my time was devoted to it. This passion was positive in a sense - but my morning devotions started to suffer!
 
Since my first year of Interns I have developped a little more moderation. If there is ever a time where I should lack something fresh to share on my blog, I will simply share a few insights from my morning time in the Word! A method I have developped for the sake of balance has been ingesting 1 Psalm and 1 Proverb every morning. Yep, that's it! Memorizing an entire Epistle or doing an exegetical breakdown of one of the Gospels was proving to be too much! Haha.
 
(Public service announcement: I READ THE NLT.) I am aware that it is written at a sixth grade reading level - that's why I enjoy it. It reads beautifully! Thought for thought translations as well as word for word translations are completely plenary-verbally inspired. It is both arrogant and ignorant to rip up someone who reads different translations of the Bible. As long as the entirety of the grace and truth of the Gospel message is preserved, we should keep our opinions to ourselves! Enough said.
 
Something that jumped out at me this morning:
 
"You brought me up from the grave, O Lord. You kept me from falling into the pit of death."
(Psalm 30:3 NLT)
 
What an incredible thought! You NEED to pray out this scripture today! I love that David is writing this YEARS before Christ came into the world. What an amazing picture of the work of Jesus - even before He walked on the earth!
 
"You brought me up from the grave."
 
Ephesians 2:1 tell us:
 
"Once you were dead because of your disobedience and your many sins."
 
The New King James Version says it this way:
 
"And you He made alive, who were dead in tresspases and sins."
 
Indeed, from the very beginning we have been degenerate - physically, spirutally and morally.
 
Romans 5:12 (NLT) tells us:
 
"When Adam sinned, sin entered the world. Adam's sin brought death, so death spread to everyone, for everyone sinned." 
 
Following the sin of Adam, all men were dead in trespasses and sins. The moment we entered the world we were separated from God. Physically they were vital signs, but spiritually there was no heartbeat! One could say, we were yet "in the grave." (Ps 30:3)
 
But Praise be to God! Psalm 30:3 tells us He has brought us up from the grave! YES! We who were once dead He has made alive! We are no longer spiritually degenerate. We have experienced the benefit of regenration through the Atoning death of Jesus Christ! We are no longer lacking spiritual vital signs! Our hearts are beating, pumping and pulsating. The Holy Spirit is giving life to our mortal bodies! (Romans 8:11.)
 
"You kept me from falling into the pit of death."
 
Thank you, GOD! This is the GOSPEL message, people! David lived 1,000 years before Christ was even conceived. The person and work of Jesus are prophetically revealed in the Book of Psalms! Who but Christ, has brought you up from the grave? Who but Christ has made you alive? Who but Christ has kept you from falling into the pit death!? NO ONE! Salvation and Regeneration are found in no one else!
 
Pray some of this out!  
 
Lord Jesus, thank you for your atoning sacrifice. You have brought me up from the grave! You have made me come alive! Your grace saved me from the grave and your grace keeps me from spiritual death. Thank you for giving me life today. For you yourself said,
 
"I came that they might have life and life abundantly." (John 10:10)
 
Thank you, JESUS! You came to give me abundant life. I receive it today, I walk in it today! You came to give me grace, peace, righteousness and joy! I thank you today that your Spirit is giving life to my mortal body! God, you are good! Thank you for giving me life everlasting!
AMEN.